• Wed. May 18th, 2022

Spanish Government Advances The Call For Scholarships By Four Months

ByVik Singh

Feb 22, 2022

The Council of Ministers has today approved the Royal Decree establishing the income and family wealth thresholds and the amounts of scholarships and study aid for the 2022-2023 academic year, which will allow its call to be advanced by about four months. The objective is for students to know before the enrollment period if they meet the financial requirements to receive this aid, thus reducing their uncertainty.

Scholarships and study grants are one of the main tools to guarantee equal access to education and one of the priority educational policies of the Government, committed to its reform and improvement since its constitution. The budget thus increases by 45% in the last five years: from 1,472 million in 2017-2018 to 2,134 million in 2022-2023.

An investment that, as happened in the current call, will serve to cover the entry of new scholarship holders due to the drop in income derived from the pandemic. According to estimates, these grants will reach 200,000 more students than four years ago (around 980,000).

The most important novelty of the 2022-2023 call is the advancement of the application and communication deadlines for the scholarships, which will allow students to know before the registration period if they meet the economic requirements to receive this aid, thus reducing their uncertainty . With the approval today of this Royal Decree and the subsequent call for scholarships, the deadlines will be advanced four months, so that the scholarship application period is expected to open next March and not in July or August as it came being usual.

In addition, the call for the next course in university studies includes the reduction of the qualification required to obtain a scholarship to study non-qualifying master’s degrees. An average grade of five points will suffice to obtain said scholarship instead of seven points.

All the information on scholarships and study aid for the 2022-2023 academic year will be available soon on the Government scholarship website.

A commitment to equity in education
In 2018, the Government made a firm commitment to the social dimension of education and to the promotion of a scholarship policy that guarantees that no student abandons their post-compulsory studies for economic reasons, thus ensuring social cohesion, equity and equal opportunities .

To this end, the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training and the Ministry of Universities announced their intention to thoroughly reform the system of scholarships and study grants.

Thus, in recent years substantial changes have been introduced, such as the modification of the academic requirements so that the access mark for these aids is approved. Income threshold 1 was also raised until it was practically equal to that of poverty, the fixed amounts have been increased by 100 euros and that of the Basic Vocational Training scholarship by 50 euros.

Together with these reforms, which have made it possible not only to increase the number of students who receive a scholarship but also their amounts, the groups entitled to aid aimed at students with a specific need for educational support have been expanded, which now number five. : disability, giftedness, severe behavioral disorder, autism spectrum disorder (included in the 2020-2021 call) and severe communication and language disorder (included in 2021-2022).

On the other hand, the Ministries of Education and Universities are finalizing the preparations for a common scholarship portal that will collect their calls and those of the regional governments in a single web space with the aim of making it easier for citizens to search for these resources. In addition, the Government continues to work on streamlining administrative procedures with the aim of being able to advance not only the communication but also the payment of these aids.