Army Major who killed Hizbul terrorist Sameer Tiger currently battling for life

Major Rohit Shukla has been hailed a hero for gunning down Hizbul Mujahideen commander Sameer Bhat alias Sameer Tiger in Kashmir on Monday. However, during the encounter Major Shukla was critically injured as well.

A day before the encounter, a viral video of the terrorist threatening Shukla did the rounds. In the video, the Hizbul commander is seen interrogating an informer about the whereabouts of the Indian Army. Tiger is then seen warning the informer of not sharing information of the Hizbul operatives with the Army.

At the end of the video, Tiger, whose face cannot be seen, is heard saying, “When the lion stops hunting, dogs believe that the jungle belongs to them. I challenge Shukla to come face-to-face.”

It appears that Shukla took the challenge up and although he suffered serious injuries, he ended up killing the dreaded terrorist. Shukla was admitted to an army hospital in Srinagar with chest injuries. His condition is said to be critical.

Bhat, who was also known as “Abbasi” and “Faisal”, met his end in the village after a six-hour gunbattle around 2.15 pm, they said.

The morning began with security forces, acting on a tip-off that militants were holed up inside a house, cordoning the area.

Around noon, security personnel, who were fighting stone pelting from the civilians, fired heavily at the house, causing an explosion, officials said.

About an hour later, the first militant, identified as Aaquib Mushtaq, was killed. He was a local resident belonging to Rajpora area of Pulwama.

Shortly after, Bhat, who is alleged to have carried out several political and civilian killings in Pulwama area, was gunned down, the officials added.

He hit the national limelight in November 2017 as the long-haired youth with piercing eyes looking directly into the camera posing with an American M4 carbine in an orchard somewhere in south Kashmir, triggering a debate on how the US-made weapon came to be in the Valley. The photograph was circulated widely on social media.

The man who terrorised the entire Kashmir Valley started out as a chronic stone pelter, officials said. The Class 8 dropout emerged as another poster boy for the Hizbul Mujahideen after the death of Burhan Wani in July 2016.

Three months before that, Bhat was picked up by the Jammu and Kashmir police in March 2016 after he was caught pelting stones on security personnel. He was just 18 years old at the time.

He was then counselled by police for nearly two weeks and let off with a condition that he would continue with his studies. Instead, one day, not very long after, his parents approached the Drabgam police station and registered a missing report about their son, officials recounted.

Bhat had fled into the jungles of adjoining Tral and joined the Hizbul Mujahideen militant group besides extending help to other terror outfits.

According to senior police officials, Bhat persuaded about 80 people to join the militancy movement in south Kashmir and repeatedly managed to escape the police dragnet — until now.

After Burhan Wani’s death, videos of a bearded, long-haired Bhat appeared on various social networking sites in a bid to entice Kashmiri youths to become militants.

He is also alleged to have abducted small time political workers and police informers, torture them and record their agony. Bhat would then release the films on social networking sites to scare people.

With PTI Inputs

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.