Today Union Cabinet Committee on security has approved the creation of a new post of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). This post will come under Department of Military Affairs within MoD which works exclusively pertaining to Military matters. Armed Forces will fall under the ambit of Department of Military Affairs with appropriate expertise to manage military affairs.
Role and Responsibilities of Chife of Defence Staff:
1) Act as the Principal Military Adviser to Raksha Mantri on tri-Services matters. The three Chiefs will continue to advise RM on matters exclusively concerning their respective Services.
2) CDS will not exercise any military command, including over the three Service Chiefs.
3) CDS will administer tri-services organisations. Their military command, will be with the Chief of the duly notified service, which has a predominant role in effective functioning of that specific tri-service organization. However, Tri-services agencies/organizations/ commands related to Cyber and Space will be under the command of the CDS.
4) Provide integrated inputs of the Services to relevant authorities. CDS will be member of Defence Acquisition Council and Defence Planning Committee.
5) Bring about jointness in operations, logistics, transport, training, support services, communications, repairs and maintenance, etc. of the three Services within three years of the first CDS assuming office.
6) Ensure optimal utilization of infrastructure and rationalize it.
7) Enhance the share of indigenous equipment.
8) Evaluate plans for;Out of Area Contingencies& as well other contingencies such as Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief.
9) Assign inter-Services prioritization to capital acquisition proposals based on the anticipated budget.
10) Integrate and rationalise international cooperation plans.
11) Prepare strategy papers on military matters for consideration of the competent authority.
Rules for Chief of Defence Staff:
- Not eligible to hold any Government office after demitting the office of CDS.
- No private employment without prior approval for a period of five years after demitting the office of CDS.
- Four Star General