Two Indian Army jawans who are spying for Pakistan have been taken into custody. Intelligence department is bringing these two jawans from Pokhran to Jaipur. Pakistani intelligence agency ISI honey-trapped both the soldiers. Both these soldiers are accused of leaking a lot of information of the Indian Army to Pakistani intelligence agency ISI.
According to Indian Army sources, The name of Two Indian Army personnel are Lance Naik Ravi Verma and Sepoy Vichitra Behera. They have been arrested by Rajasthan Police after they were virtually honeytrapped by Pakistani intelligence operatives over social media.
Army Sources: Two Indian Army personnel including Lance Naik Ravi Verma and Sepoy Vichitra Behera have been arrested by Rajasthan Police after they were virtually honeytrapped by Pakistani intelligence operatives over social media. (1/3)— ANI (@ANI) November 7, 2019
In the investigation, it has emerged that the two personnel were involved with one Facebook ID with the name of ‘Seerat’ that was posing as a woman to honey-trap the two jawans.
Against the backdrop of virtual honey trapping cases, Indian Army had issued an advisory in mid-October on the modus operandi of Pakistan intelligence operatives’ attempts to gain intelligence through social media & other means.
Army personnel Vichitra Behera, sent to 5-day remand to Rajasthan Intelligence Police by a Jaipur court for allegedly sharing secret information with a suspected Pakistani ISI agent over social media.
Rajasthan: An Army personnel Vichitra Behera, sent to 5-day remand to Rajasthan Intelligence Police by a Jaipur court for allegedly sharing secret information with a suspected Pakistani ISI agent over social media. He was arrested by the state police, yesterday.— ANI (@ANI) November 7, 2019
What is honey Trap?
The honey trap is one of the most common tactics present in spy thrillers where an attractive man or woman is used to gain secrets from an individual, usually in a position of power in the state. The most well-known master of this practice was Markus Wolf, an East German spymaster who is said to have used good-looking male spies to target single, lonely women in West Germany, the secretaries of powerful individuals.
In July 2019, The Indian Army had warned its 13 lakhs soldiers & officers to stay away from social media groups like Whatsapp & other social networking sites. Indian Army had issued two page directive for its personnel about the safely use of social media. The aim of this directive to aware army personnel about the danger of getting “Honey-trapped”.
Military personnel have also been asked to not post their pictures on their profile on social networking sites or disclosing their affiliation to the armed forces.
According to experts,Nowadays the Pakistani intelligence agency (ISI) uses these tactics to mislead Indian Army jawans and making them detective. Apart from this, through the HoneyTrap, the youth works like an ISI spy who takes pictures of the cantonment area, tanker number and building and sends it to ISI. Earlier even such reports had come from various parts of the country.
Soldiers should not do these activities on social sites:-
- Don’t join any unknown whatsapp group.
- Do not use photo in uniform as profile pic on WhatsApp/Facebook.
- Do not expose official identity on social sites like some soldiers add that they are working in Indian Army.
- Don’t upload pictures with weapon on such sites even in civil uniform.
- Do not reveal your rank, unit name and location or anything related to your work.
- Do not accept friend request from unknowns.
- Soldiers families should also avoid to upload pic of their son/daughter with uniform and they also should not post/mention their profession on sites.
- Don’t upload any picture which contain anything related to military i.e don’t upload pic with military background.
- Do not store/ save any information related to military in computer/laptops.
- Do not click advertisements on social sites for prizes/awards.
- don’t click on any unknown link.