Russia is selling its S-400 air defense missile system to both India and China, but its five units being bought for the Indian Air Force are better than China in terms of firepower. The missile system given to India by Russia is capable of targeting any air hazard at a distance of 380 kilometers. while the S-400 system which is given to China by Russia is capable of targeting any air hazard of distance only 250 Kilometers which is 130 Kms less than India’s S-400.
The S-400 air defense missile system is equipped with four different missiles. They can target enemy aircraft, ballistic missiles and avoids planes at a Range of 400 kilometers, 250 kilometers, 120 kilometers in the middle distance and 40 kilometers in short distance.
The missiles that are being supplied to China by Russia are the only three-tier missile system. These missiles having range of 250 kilometers, 120 kilometers and 40 kilometers while India is getting four-tier missile system having range of 400 kilometers, 250 kilometers, 120 kilometers and 40 kilometers.
Russia has also given a discount of Rs 7,000 crore to India in this deal. Regardless of American pressure, India has decided to deal with Russia. Russia has long been a friend of India. Russia has been fulfilling 60 percent of the military equipment needed by India in the last 70 years.
According to sources, the Ministry of Defense approved a budget of approximately $ 6.2 billion for this deal. But negotiation committee managed to fix this deal for $ 5.3 billion Usually, the amount approved by the Defense Purchase Council (DAC) for the purchase of any weapon system is always increased in the end. After negotiations with Russia, we have been able to get $ 960 million in exemptions.
Features of S-400 Air Defence System:
- The full name of this missile system is the S-400 Trimuf which is called by SA-21 Growler in NATO countries. It is a long-range ground-to-air missile system which has been built by Russia.
- India Start talking about the Deal of the missile system from Russia since 2015. Many countries want to buy this system from Russia because it is considered to be superior to the US THAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) system.
- Its firepower is infallible because it can fire the missile in three directions at once.
- There is a lot of demand in the world of the S-400 due to the many anti-aircraft missile systems, launchers, commands and control centers that mark different targets for different working radars.
- it can attack on many fighter aircraft, ballistic and cruise missiles and drones together in the range of 400 kms.
- The S-400 Trimuf missile can simultaneously detect 100 airborne targets and can Knock down six fighter aircraft like the US-made F-35.
- The S-400 air defense missile system has the capacity to fire three types of missiles
- It is also capable of taking out ballistic missiles and hyper-sonic targets
- Just one system comprising up to 8 divisions (battalions) can control up to 72 launchers. It can also handle a maximum of 384 missiles.
- Compared with its predecessor, the S-300, the new S-400 has a 2.5 times faster firing rate