19 January is an unforgettable day for Kashmiri Pandits. On this day, 30 years ago, exodus of Kashmiri Pandits from Kashmir had started. On the same day, the situation in the valley had deteriorated and the Kashmiri Pandit community started fleeing. Kashmiri Pandits remember this date as ‘Exodus Day’.
The Muslim Population of Kashmir valley started raising anti-hindu slogans during the exodus of Kashmiri pandits from Kashmir in 1990. The slogans were:-
- Kashmir main rahna hai, Allah-ho-Akbar Kahna hoga. (If you choose to live in Kashmir, you will have to say Allah-o- Akbar or You will have to convert in Islam).
- Asi gachi Pakistan, Bata ros ta batanev san. (We want Pakistan, with Kashmiri Hindu women and without their men-folk).
- Allah-o-Akbar, Musalmano jago Kafiro bhago, jehad aa raha hai. (Allah-o-Akbar, arise and awake Muslims, buzz off kafirs, jehad is coming.)
- Kashmir kya banega – Pakistan (What will Kashmir be – Pakistan).
- Zalimo O, Kafiro, Kashmir hamara chhod do (Ye cruel Kafirs, vacate our Kashmir).
- Yahan kya chalega, Nizam – e – Mustafa (What will have sway here – Prophet’s governance)
- Islam hamara maksad hai, Quran Humar Dastur Hai, Jehad Humara Rashta Hai (Islam is our destination, Quran is our constitution and Jehad is our way)
- Ganga-Jamuna mein aag lagayenge (We will destroy Ganga and Yamuna)
- Hamein kya chahye, Nizame Mustafa, Kashmir me Kya chalega- Nizame Mustafa, Hindustan me Kya chalega- Nizame Mustafa (What do we need – Prophet’s governance. What will have sway in Kashmir- Prophet’s governance,What will have sway in India- Prophet’s governance)
- La Sharqia La Gharbia, Islamia! Islamia! (From East to West, There will be only Islam)
- Pakistan se Rishta Kya? La-Illah-e-Illah (Islam defines our relation with Pakistan)
- Dil me rakho Allah ka Khauf, Hath me rakho Kalashnikov (With the fear of Allah in your heart, Put Kalashnikov in your hand).
In 1990, the then Pakistani Prime minister Benazir Bhutto had coined the Azaadi slogans. After this, terrorists used it in Kashmir during the Exodus of Kashmiri Pandits.